[Phys-l] Fwd: New Mazur Group Publication

For those who don't receive the "The Physics Teacher":

bc on two Mazur lists

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Mazur <mazur@physics.harvard.edu>
Date: 2009, September 26, 20:12:44 PDT
To: bernardcleyet@redshift.com
Subject: New Mazur Group Publication

I am writing to let you know that a new publication by my group on education,
entitled "Are most people too dumb for physics?", has appeared in print. You
can download a reprint of the publication using the following link, which will
remain valid for a period of two weeks:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/email/download.php? YmVybmFyZGNsZXlldEByZWRzaGlmdC5jb20=&NjQ0

The abstract of the paper is appended below. Please do not forward or post the
file. If you know of others who might be interested in this information, please
forward the following link to them:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/publications.php? function=display&rowid=644

Thank you for your continued interest in our work,

Eric Mazur
Balkanski Professor of Physics
and Applied Physics

Harvard University
29 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: +1 617 495-8729

Are most people too dumb for physics?
Nathaniel Lasry, Noah Finkelstein, Eric Mazur,
Physics Teacher, 47, 418-422 (2009).

Abstract:

In a recent article in The Physics Teacher, Michael Sobel claims-- as do many
teachers--that physics is in a "special category of hard" and is usually taken
only by a "certain sort of very bright student." The appealing--yet suspiciously
conceited--notion that physics is only for smart or industrious people is
questionable. We offer this response as a means to initiate a dialogue on how we
engage with students in our physics courses.

Note: You received this email because your e-mail address was entered on our web
site (http://mazur-www.harvard.edu). If you did not personally enter your e-mail
address and you believe you received this e-mail in error, please let us know so
we can prevent further abuse.

To view or modify your notification settings (or to stop them altogether),
please use the following link:

http://mazur-www.harvard.edu/notification.php? i=YmVybmFyZGNsZXlldEByZWRzaGlmdC5jb20=