Re: [Phys-l] ignition point of paper: 451 deg... is it F or C ?

Here's another cite: Kinbara used that classic geometry for an
exothermic reactor - the sphere - in this case, of saw dust.
From Session V, see Kinbara, U Tokyo: Autoignition of Wood Materials

*http://tinyurl.com/n5tl4b*

Notice his predicted tipping temperature for this configuration.
(Writing paper has a variable surface filler which may include kaolin
which alters the ignition point, I wouldn't be surprised to find..... )
I'll monitor a few newsprint shreds in a convenction cooker using
a thermocouple, just for fun...

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Chuck gave it an experimental tryout....
In the literature, autoignition or spontaneous or self ignition
temperatures can vary by as much as a 3:1 ratio - depending
on the method employed, according to a reference of Jackson's
for benzene; see
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50504a058

Brian W

chuck britton wrote:
As an inveterate contrarian, I'll go with 451 Celsius until I see good evidence otherwise.
Parchment paper doesn't self-destruct in a 450 F oven.