Re: [Phys-l] Temp & Energy density

You are postulating a non-thermodynamic situation. Our chemistry friend have been busy with the thermodynamics of few-particle systems (Terence Hill has been publishing on this since the '60's) One does themod by imagining large collections of small systems, and averaging over these.

In your case there will always be some systems where molecules are bouncing off the piston, so the pressure is never zero (although fluctuations are large).
Regards,
Jack