Re: [Phys-l] Water Slides.

In general, in problems involving a mass powered by gravity, the mass cancels out.

Regards,
Jack

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Simplifying the scenario at little more:

Does a straight descending slide produce a greater effective force on a
constant mass
at the foot of the slide if the runout is a curve straight in plan view,
or if the runout is a tight helix in plan view?

If the answer to this question is NO, STOP here.

If the answer is YES, does the centrifugal force experienced in the
rider's frame,
depend on his/her body mass as well as radius and angular rate?
If the answer to this question is NO, STOP here.

If the answer is YES, what accounts for the different centrifugal force?
Will this set the larger mass higher on the slide/tube's
semicircular cross section in the bend?
If the answer to this question is NO, STOP here.

If the answer is YES, can this test be repeated with a
sovereign and a feather in vacuo? :-)

Thanks for responding

Brian W

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
A heavier object exhibits greater X double dot (and X dot terminal)
w/ drag than a lighter one, n'est-ce pas? e.g. Guinea and feather?

bc more than fleeting, but not ukasian.

p.s. BrianW's example: counter thought: more coulomb and less
viscous / turbulent? (greater normal force, M*V^2/R ?)