Re: [Phys-l] Seeking sources of good algebra materials

Not sure if anyone knows ofJohn Saxon. He founded Saxon Publishers, and
began selling math books back in the '80s. He later developed physics
textbooks, and believed in solving/learning problems via repetition. His
books were in black/white -- nothing fancy. I actually attended his talk
at an AAPT meeting years ago. Very lively,passionate speaker!

Check out the math program:

http://saxonpublishers.hmhco.com/en/sxnm_home.htm

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
This is somewhat off topic for this list, but I'm hoping some folks will
steer me in the right direction ...

This morning I visited a high school Algebra I class here in Duluth and I
found a batch of students who seem to dislike what they are doing and a
teacher who told me she thinks she doesn't know enough to help them.

I noticed she was giving them sets of problems to work on from a test
manual
that came with the text, but she said the students come from such a wide
range of preparation backgrounds that she can't fit their needs.

There has to be something better out there than batches of 100 problems
all
of the sort that ask you to simplify something like the square root of
50y^3.

Where does one find problems that the students would find more educational
than this stuff?

Steve Highland
Duluth MN