Re: [Phys-l] resonance animation

Bernard,

I set out to refresh myself by looking over the pendulum paragraphs in an old Starling & Woodall's Physics.

(this is a book of which a reader might say, "if it ain't there, it ain't physics") I was shocked to see how much more lucidly an entry in Wikipedia read, in this case:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum>

To read it is to understand exactly what Captain Kater had in mind with his reversible pendulum, and how Bessell made superfluous the careful equation of periods with a standard to one sweep in 24 hours or better, by means of correcting results from a fixed reversible pendulum.

This is to share with you that I do not dismiss the pendulum lightly.
But consider this.

A few months ago I bought a new wrist watch for about $5.
It was a quartz movement in a thick stainless case, rather like the Submariner and similar Perpetual time pieces which still cost up to a thousand times as much.
It was easy to see that this watch held time better than such an excellent mechanical movement.
Accordingly, I DO dismiss the pendulum movement as superseded, though it may well serve an ornamental purpose. You will agree I know, that any compound pendulum clock for which the prime mover is both mechanical AND part of the pendular mass, has its problems.
Finally, I mention that I was taken with the animated diagram of this parametric pumping of the censer offered in this thread. It could be stimulated to continuous revolution by modulating the drive frequency appropriately - a fine example of the pendulum's period variability with amplitude variation.

Brian W
p.s. For others who found your URL was broken, I repeat it here in tiny format.
<http://tinyurl.com/8o24k6> One temperature compensation was the opposing iron/brass form. Both of these rods tend to oxidize with time unless plated, unlike the usual quartz counterpart.
**
Brian W

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Brian!

I didn't find an analysis of such pendula. I was referring to a particular pendulum clock** in a high end antique shoppe in Carmel (A very high end city -- million dollar cottages!).

I'll be pleased to mail photo's of it to requesters.

** Called swinging clocks examples:

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/labbcoco/product- listvbqniEmYuJRe/Swinging-Clock-catalog-1.html

bc abbreviator.