Re: [Phys-l] Bad physics in National park

Also appropos the scientific method thread:

I just (yesterday) used $2 (New at RAFT) to purchase "CALIFORNIA Science" (Grade 5) [Macmillan/McGraw-Hill]. Normally I would consider this a very frivolous purchase, but -- I flipped thru it to find the ever present "Scientific Method". It's on p. V. Emphasis: It is page V. The facing page continues w/ "Be a Scientist". The title of the TOC for the first chapter. What is Science p.2, Observation 4, Question and Hypothesis 6, Experiment 8, Collecting Data 10, Conclusion 12, etc.

California indoctrinates early.

None of the Program authors are physicists. One of the contributing authors is a Physicist (UCSD professor) and she should know better. Of the ~ 48 content consultants, editorial advisory board, task force, and teacher reviewers, only one is identified as a physicist. He's evidently not a member of this list, but at least one of his colleagues is.

bc is reminded of the Loyola quote. And too busy to read for additional howlers.

p.s. OTOH, some one has suggested that such physicist objections are overruled.