Re: [Phys-l] A demo for biologists?

ludwik kowalski wrote:

I was not thinking about "interference fringes;" I expect the glass area covered by a thin foil to be either much darker or much brighter that the area that is not covered. The contrast will depend on the film thickness. That would be an excellent demo for students.

Ludwik Kowalski

Perhaps you were overlooking that the fringe effect is caused by cyclic darkening of the field by phase differences in path length - the sort of effect that could be increased if part of the field is phase changed in one leg with a plastic film?

Brian W