Re: [Phys-l] optics

Paraphrasing Hazel Rossotti's book *Colour*; the greater the difference
between the speeds of light at the boundary, the greater the light's
scattering. The difference between the speed of light in air and speed of
light at the stones surface is greater than the difference between the speed
of light in water and the stone. The speed of light difference between air
and water is also less than the difference between water and air. So as
light is refracted through the water to the stone, less is scattered by the
time it reflects off the stone than compared to the air and stone boundary
condition. This gives rise to darker and richer colors.

-Tony