[Phys-l] optics - diffraction?

Hello.

Early on, I remember learning that single point diffraction patterns are (were?) the result of Huygen's principle. Each infinitesimal point on the opening of the slit acted as a point source. The interference pattern is (was?) the result of these multiple point sources within a single opening.

I've also heard hand-waving arguments stating that Huygen's Principle isn't correct. This interference pattern is the result of something else.

What is it if not Huygen's multiple point sources interfering with each other?

Paul Lulai
Physics Instructor, Science Olympiad Coach,
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:. Faculty Advisor

Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140

http://www.robohuskie.com
http://prettygoodphysics.wikispaces.com
http://sites.google.com/site/go4st8physics/
http://www.stanthony.k12.mn.us/hsscience/index.shtml

Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought. Napoleon Hill
One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. Paul Valéry