Re: [Phys-l] "Dehatting" TO-3 bipolars to "create" photosensors

Thomas O'Neill wrote:
BC,
About ten years ago when John Hinton, Fred Hoffman and I were at the UVa summer institute for Physics teachers, we created a learning module for fiber optics. The "transmitter" was an LED which whose lens was drilled out to accept a plastic fiber. The "receiver" was the exact same TO-3 bipolar transistor with a hole drilled in the case to accept the plastic fiber which was glued to the silicon chip.
Not surprisingly, five minute epoxy turns out to have about the same index of refraction as lens of the LED and the plastic optical fiber and covered a multitude of construction sins.
THO

Thomas O'Neill
Physics Teacher in Residence
James Madison University
Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
I see that the spectral photosensitivity of the led is downshifted a little from its peak emission spectrum. But enough overlap to make this an attractive setup.

BrianW