Re: [Phys-l] Food Liar's calorie chart

Here, the dominant effect is the rhythmic contraction of various muscles
which augment the energy converted to heat and to pumping blood to the
brain.

Based on 2400 nutritional calories per day, we get 50 cal in 30 min as a baseline metabolism, which includes baseline rhythmic contractions, heat dissipation, and blood pumping. The chart I refer to is not sophisticated enough to describe whether the calorie counts are in addition to or part of the metabolism, but the numbers to me imply in addition to (if the chart had an entry for "no activity" it would read 0 cal). My point remains - the difference between putting yourself in motion at 4mph and 5mph is not much. Let's say the metabolic elevation during exercise doubles to 100, and add that to the chart levels:

370 + 100 = 470 (jogging 5 mph)
200 + 100 = 300 (walking 4 mph)

It's a large discrepancy no matter how you cut it.

I've not been able to go through the plethora of reference materials, but I have found at least one that claims:

F = 140 cal/mi (jogging, 200lb person) (vs my quote of 148)
F = 133 cal/mi (walking, 200lb person) (vs my quote of 100)

This is much more in line with my original thesis that the numbers in the chart I cited are suspicious. I *might* believe that the metabolic difference and possible** changes in CM make the difference between 140 and 133, but not the other.

Bottom line point - variability in metabolism and nuances of the exact form of exercise (the details of F.dx) make small differences not worth arguing about. Determining inconsistencies in calorie charts handed down like bibles, and explaining them (or being unable to), make for a good exercise. I'll leave this part of the discussion at that :-)

> it is F.x that determines the amount of energy expended.
> Life-forms don't quite follow this relation, which works rather well for
all too solid masses of other kinds.

Life-forms can't escape the physics that works for solid masses of other kinds, I contend. Aside from thermodynamic considerations included in the base metabolism, F.x (F.dx more appropriately) determines energy expenditure in pumping blood, rhythmic contraction of muscles, and moving from point A to point B on a walking/jogging surface.

As to treadmills and Bob at PC's humorous attempt to strike fear in anorexics everywhere - when running or walking, I claim to be on a treadmill called earth. True, I can't really see it moving backwards under my feet... or can I? The student can also ponder the energy differences, if any, of running/walking on a stationary train, or a train that is moving in the same direction, or opposite...

Real treadmills (like in the gym) would have some differing physics as to energy dissipation (just ask any walker runner and they'll tell you it just ain't quite the same as "real" walking or jogging). Treadmills are much better at differentiating "secondary energy dissipation" vs running outdoors (wildly swinging limbs, subtle terrain variations, wind resistance, psychological factors, etc etc).

**With respect to CM, a few minutes watching Monty Python's silly walks skit might convince that you can train yourself to walk or run with very little change in vertical CM. For a more convincing demonstration, watch someone skilled at moving in Tai Chi or another martial art. I'm not buying the change in CM argument (running vs walking) at this point. Gotta work the numbers, but I'm not confident there's a big difference.

Stefan Jeglinski