Re: [Phys-l] Food Liar's calorie chart

Philip Keller wrote:
When you are jogging at constant speed, I suspect that a large fraction of the work you do is pushing your center of mass upward, giving it the energy to reach a peak height, an energy that is then lost in the inelastic collision that occurs with each footfall. So the work done in each stride is proportional to your weight and the change in height. If you had the patience to run in place for the same length of time that you run on the road, I think you would burn nearly the same amount of calories. But if you think running on a track is boring, this is far worse.
This brings to mind the spring heels which are shown to be energy-economical, in that they return some energy to the runnier.

Brian W