[Phys-l] Textbook selection time again ...

Once again, it is time to select textbooks for next year.

Since I teach both algebra-based and calc-based general physics, and
since Serway has a text with both versions, I had been using his text.

However, my textbook rep told me recently about Tipler now having a $25
eBook + WebAssign, plus an option to buy the regular text for $25
(directly from the publisher, not thru the local bookstore). See
http://www.whfreeman.com/tiplerWebAssign/ for details.

That seems an amazing bargain - $50 for the regular text (it looks like
the full-year test - not just one semester) AND online resources.
Presumably the students would need to pay $25 for the second semester of
Online access, but still that is only $75 for the full year, compared to
~$200 for a typical book.

So ....
* Do any of you use this option or have opinions about Tipler?
* Any other books that you highly recommend?
* What about requiring something like McDermott's Tutorials?
* Do you find the online texts & homework assignments effective for
student learning?

Tim F