Re: [Phys-l] Economics 101, Sociology 101, Social Justice 101, ---Physics 101?

I wrote:

I wonder if you could explain to me how knowing the absolute numbers would in any way alter one's understanding of the point I was trying to make

I should have asked how it would "improve" one's understanding because it seems to me that shouting "1% represents ... THREE MILLION people" is a good example of using absolute numbers not so much to promote objectivity as to obscure the argument.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

I wrote:

Rick Tarara wrote:

...something to remember when spouting off about the top 1% or 10% or whatever. That top 1% represents something like THREE MILLION people in the U.S. Part and parcel of Twain's remarks about statistics is the use of percentages when that seemingly makes your point better and numbers when that does so. To be objective, it helps to do both.

Rick,

Since this would appear to be directed at my discussion of (or, perhaps, merely my "spouting off about") income and taxes for the wealthiest 1% of all Americans and at least appears to suggest that my argument was not objective because of the fact that it dealt so heavily with percentages, I wonder if you could explain to me how knowing the absolute numbers would in any way alter one's understanding of the point I was trying to make.

Thanks,