Re: [Phys-l] Nuclear Reactors

At 12:41 -0400 04/08/2009, R. McDermott wrote:

I haven't read every post on this thread, but there are two potential energy
sources that seem to always be overlooked. One is OTEC (Ocean Thermal
Energy Conversion); energy produced by using the temperature differential in
the deep oceans, and the other is tidal (think underwater "windmills"). One
of the biggest problems with energy generation/usage is transmission and
storage, and these impact greatly on OTEC.

OTEC is an intriguing technology, but unfortunately seems to be doomed to a niche role. There is one operating OEC plant that I am familiar with, on a South Pacific island. but it produces only a couple of hundred kW, and it seems that making a much larger one is neither economically nor thermodynamically worthwhile. But it could be something that would be useful for isolated islands with proper water conditions. Not likely to be a major factor in our energy portfolio though.

But a Google search on OTEC turns up quite a few hits. So somebody is paying attention.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org