Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures -- a modest proposal

On Apr 6, 2009, at 12:42 PM, David Appell wrote:

John Denker wrote:
The best part, he says, is that you would only
need about 15 volcanoes, if you set them off at
intervals, one every three years. That's because
in 50 years or so, if present
trends continue, we will have used up all the fossil carbon
fuels, and the CO2 problem will have gone away on its

In 50 years we will probably have used up most of the oil, but then, if
nothing else is available, we will switch to coal, of which there is
enough to last a few hundred years. Carbon-wise, coal is even worse than
oil. . . .

And how would nuclear electricity compete with coal electricity today?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html