Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

Hi-
Dirty politics!
Aristotle could not have known the creation story because it would not be written until almost a millenium after Aristotle's time.
Regards,
Jack

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Hugh Haskell wrote:

At 22:13 -0400 04/01/2009, chuck britton wrote:

I am more impressed by Aristotle 'knowing' that men had one fewer
ribs than women - because of the creation story.
And not bothering to count the number of teeth in the human mouth
before 'publishing'.

I have wondered about that rib thing. Did he really write that, or is
that story a figment of someone's imagination (as are many of such
stories). How much would he have known about the Hebrew tradition in
his day? I'm sure that there was some interaction between the Hebrews
and the Greeks before Aristotle's day, but was that myth part of the
Greek mainstream, so that he would have been a believer of it rather
than a Greek polytheist, as were most of his contemporaries?

Hugh