[Phys-l] Definition of Substance

In the TX IPC book the word substance is defined essentially to mean a
"pure" compound or element. I do not remember having encountered this
definition, and the dictionary is no help here.

I personally think this is one particular author's definition, or possibly a
definition pushed to be able to ask questions like "Is milk a substance?".
Since there are alternate words which do have traditional definitions, this
is a vey unnecessary complication.

Would anyone agree with the book definition? This is in the "chemistry"
part of the text, so would a chemist agree with this? I would use "pure
substance" as the opposite to a mixture, solution...

Language is messy, but we don't have to burden students with unnecessary
definitions. If the vast majority agrees with the book definition, then it
is reasonable, but merely unnecessary.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX