Re: [Phys-l] Why we stress units

On 03/19/2009 03:43 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I believe we had the metric system signed into law,

It was signed into law by President Andrew Johnson in 1866.

The inch is defined in terms of the meter.
The pound is defined in terms of the kilogram.

yet
we are slow to fully convert. Not sure we ever will.

The US auto industry uses essentially 100% metric dimensions
including metric nuts and bolts.

The US military is essentially 100% metric.

Soft drinks come in liter and two-liter bottles.

So it's not hopeless.

I don't expect anybody to /fully/ convert ever.
British pubs still sell beer by the pint.