Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

I agree. If a student says that a satellite remains in orbit because the gravitational force balances the centripetal force, I can't say "No, you are wrong." If I insist on banishing centrifugal forces from my class, the more honest response is: "No, I don't want you to think about it that way." Maybe better to open the door...time spent explaining why these forces do not really exist could just as easily be spent explaining when it's OK to use them.

So what is the point of forcing students to go through an intermediate
phase where they are taught centrifugal fields don't exist? For all
of their life before class, after class, and north/south/east/west of
class, centrifugal fields exist.