From: Ken Fox <physicsfox23@gmail.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:16:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Centrifugal redux

From Rick Tarara:
"........but of course in the accelerating frame you have to give up
Newton's laws (especially the third)
since there is no agent to which you can assign the centrifugal force."

Understanding frame of reference is essential and well within the
capability
of my high school students. We tend to stick with the inertial frame as
has
been suggested. But we live in many accelerated frames, cars and
airplanes
and amusement park rides.

As for agents of a force, how imaginary is gravity?

Let's hear it for the Principle of Equivalence and a possible extension
Centrifugal Fields. I notice such every time in the winter when I turn
left
and feel hot air come my way. High school students can easily grasp such
ideas.

Ken Fox