Re: [Phys-l] Isotope chemistry and physics

John Clement wrote:
... It is
doubtful that D2O is necessary, but over the millennia it may be that the
trace amount in water has been accommodated so its removal may be very
slightly harmful. Has anyone looked at what happens to critters raised on pure H2O with the D2O removed?
Not pure exactly but with a D2O fraction reduced to a third of its normal concentration. In rats, their mobility seemed enhanced. (High proportions can lead to lethargy or aggressive behavior (!!) , apparently)
The most striking paper - pre WWII - that I came across, concerned the dosing of a single individual - a man - with a 10% D2O solution so that over a period of 40 days his cumulative ingestion was about a liter of 100% D2O. The paper did not remark on adverse effects. This has some similarity to the clinical use of mercury in the long ago, so that one patient was provided with 3 lbs weight of metallic mercury as a stomach load.
(I have to remind myself that it is methyl mercury that does greater damage)

Brian W