Re: [Phys-l] Interesting complex machines

Dwight K. Souder wrote:
Greetings everyone. In my physics classes, we've been going over simple
and complex machines. I've given the assignment for the students to
find a "simple" complex machine, identify the simple machines within the
complex machine, and build a working model of the device. Examples of
this include transferring rotational motion into linear motion as seen
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpO8_RRp_Z8 or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dR38uQN74c, or transferring rotational
motion into a "walking motion" as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CufN43By79s.
We've also taken apart several mechanical clocks, door mechanisms,
locks, etc. to study the mechanisms at work. The students love it. I
even have one group of students who are working on a pendulum driven
clock that is primarily made of old CDs.
One of my students came to me and she's trying to find the mechanism
that allows for a small rotation in one direction, but then a larger
rotation in the opposite direction. She's presented several theories of
what they may be, but none of them have worked. It has both of us
stumped. She found a video that shows it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9Z0svRisU . If you watch the wheel in
the upper right, as the spiral wheel begins to rotate in the opposite
direction, something is triggered to allow the upper right wheel to back
up a little and then make a larger rotation in the opposite direction.
These kinetic sculptures are powered only by constant force springs and
are entirely mechanical. They are amazing to watch.
Does anyone know how such a mechanism may be put together to prevent
rotation in one direction (ie. clockwise), until a small amount of
opposite rotation is generated (ie. counterclockwise), that would allow
for the primary rotation to occur (ie. clockwise)? I love it when a
student has me stumped. :-) Any help would be greatly
appreciated...from both of us. (hahaha)
Mr. Souder
This is a pretty kinetic sculpture. It seems to have a clock mainspring (ot two?)
in base and reduction belt wheels driving two escapement wheels of a sort.
The drive seems to be pass from them through very soft concentric helical springs
on the axles of the final wheels.
Soft springs on an axle can act as a mechanical diode, in that driving the spring
in the direction of tightening locks it on the shaft, while the other direction allows
a much longer arc. The mechanical details of the escapement in the upper
right wheel hubs are not clear to me.

Brian W