Re: [Phys-l] Big Bang density

That seemed like a reasonable take. My take is more extreme - that the
pointillist Big Bang theory for astrophysics represents something of the same level
of theoretical development as Biology's spontaneous generation of
(macro-scale, complex structured) life as portrayed in the 18th Century
at least.

Be careful not to get carried away. Known physics takes us back to what has always seemed to me to be such an absurdly small universe that a reasonable person might ask why anyone cares about the difference between 10^{-43} s and 0? In other words, we have excellent evidence from a range of independent sources that points back to a (very) small, (very) hot elementary field stew. This is quite a remarkable story in and of itself, enough to stretch the imagination and/or credulity of anyone who's paying attention, whatever may connect on to that.

Apart from our general curiosity about the world, one reason to pursue the question further is that we also need to know how this works in order to properly understand the end state of gravitational collapse generally e.g. what exactly it is that's at the center of our galaxy.

David Craig

<http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>