Re: [Phys-l] Climate Change - Is it Controversial?

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
The below the ------- is from the Wiki. article on Richard Lindzen. He is one of the keynote speakers of the present controversial conference.

I am extremely disturbed by the apparent punishment of critics of anthropogenic climate change. As long as this happens, I cannot accept that the question is answered. When the government, et al. funds critics w/ "good" credentials, e.g. R. L., then the question may be resolved, until then I lump the IPCC, et al. along w/ the Bush administration as enemies of science. Reminds me of the Soviet attack on Vavilov.

Bernard, your writing/quoting style is confusing and you are not very clear about who said what, when, and where.

Nevertheless, the mainstream body of climate science has been saying since the 1995 IPCC report that man's activities are at least partly responsible for climate change ("The balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence on global climate"). Since then their conclusion has only gotten stronger. For example, the IPCC 4AR (2007) says: "The understanding of anthropogenic warming and cooling influences on climate has improved since the TAR, leading to very high confidence that the global average net effect of human activities since
1750 has been one of warming."

The overwhelming majority of practicing climate scientists agree with this result. They will never be "certain," because the data has inherent uncertainties and so do their models and scientists are conservative by nature. Lindzen is smart, but even smart people at MIT can be wrong. Lindzen's remarks, as at the Heartland Conference this past Sunday evening, are well-chosen and wise (and not as favorable as skeptics probably thought they would be), but yet even he does not, frankly, give the impression of being on the only path of truth compared to all others. He has no golden alternative theory. Nor do his publications.

I have yet to see even one "skeptic," including Lindzen, convincingly explain late 20th-century warming based on natural factors alone (or even predominantly.) I don't mean hand-waving arguments about the sun or cosmic waves or sunspots or 1500-yr cycles, but hard, detailed calculations about radiative forcings and solar irradiances, backed up by (yes) models, models that are validated by their ability to back-predict, and, since the mid-1980s, forward-predict.

Frankly, almost all skeptic arguments I have ever seen -- and I try my best to approach them unbiased and look purely at their science -- contain fundamental errors in logic or science or both, and come off as not even worthy of a 2nd-year graduate student, their errors being that blatant.

How much should the government spend (1%? 10%? 30%?) to go over the issue again and again and again? At what point is a piece of science considered complete? Should the government still fund alternative viewpoints to the quark-gluon model? To alternative theories about the accelerating universe?

His position with regard to the IPCC can be summed up with this quotation: "Picking holes in the IPCC is crucial.

Yes. But the fact that CO2 _is_ a greenhouse gas is such an overwhelmingly well-established scientific fact, with such a significant radiative forcing (2+ W/m2) that it trumps all and any "holes" found so far -- not that many have been found -- and, I suspect, likely to be found in the future. Climate scientists, the postdocs and young researchers and their mentors, the ones who have been pouring over the incoming climate data for decades now, 16-hours a day, are not idiots, and they are not "communists" trying to impose a new world order or take away our freedoms. They are workers with families and mortgages and credit card debt who are trying to do their job as honestly as you or I try to do ours.

I am sorry to spew, but this is all getting out of hand.

David
--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org