Re: [Phys-l] Inquiry

Physics is very difficult to understand, especially the first time around.
Second and third, too. Many counterintuitive ideas, unlike any other
discipline.

Most textbooks are too dry, too heavy, too confusing, and packed with way
too much information. Daunting to read, much less comprehend, especially
at the pace most teachers/courses go.

Students these days are too distracted, too busy, and/or too lazy to read
physics textbooks.

With good teaching, appropriate demos, peer instruction, and active
engagement of students in class, the textbook becomes less necessary.
Except, perhaps, for math problems/homework and some worked out examples,
but one can always make his/her own problem sets as I do.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I'm trying to imagine a mode which is more delivery than reading.

It seems to me it is very much to the point. But you are correct,
when you are part of the club, when you understand the key concepts
and are familiar with the language and methodology, a great deal can
be learned from books.

Is that where our beginning students are?

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics