Re: [Phys-l] Paradigm Shift?

Problem is the quality of the test, and how you choose to teach to that test. Regardless of the test, you can vary how you teach to it. Some tests have a wide scope. We have to adjust our methods for each test.

Regarding the eternal 'teaching to the test' argument. I find it to be a bit off base. One of the first things I do when I plan a unit is decide what I hope the kids will learn. Then, how should that be represented on a test or assessment. Then try to plan the unit around these goals with the best methods I can implement in the time I've got. Is this teaching to the test a Cardinal Sin? Is it only a Cardinal Sin if someone else makes the test?

My opinion... "Teaching to the Test" is an over-used argument. What most folks are arguing against is (to me) the wide scope on those tests.

Paul Lulai
Physics Instructor, Science Olympiad Coach,
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:. Faculty Advisor

Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140

http://www.robohuskie.com
http://prettygoodphysics.wikispaces.com
http://sites.google.com/site/go4st8physics/
http://www.stanthony.k12.mn.us/hsscience/index.shtml

Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought. Napoleon Hill
One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. Paul Valéry