Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

Hi all-
So?
I went to a school where, before we started freshman year, we were told that 1 in three could expect to graduate (and 1 applicant in hundreds was admitted). Calculus and calculus physics was taught (by lecture) from the first year on. Many of those who survived WWII graduated, and many of those went on to become leaders and to help create a huge endowment fund for the school.
Most colleges cannot afford to be so selective or demanding.
As physicists we should know better than to argue individual cases in support of any general principles.
Regards,
Jack