Re: [Phys-l] scientific notation

I absolutely agree; so did all of the academics. However, the AnyNumber was the base in the original question, not the exponent. :)

________________________________
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:03:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] scientific notation

curtis osterhoudt wrote:
[Brian] For Scientific notation for example,
my touchstone is this equation:
[AnyNumber]^0 = 1

For me, it is not difficult to spring from 10^0 = 1 to this:
10^-1 = 1/10

From this spring board, you will probably agree that 1.0 X 10^-1 = 1.0
X 1/10

Brian W
Here's a plausible progression.....
10 ^1 = 10
10^0.1 = 1.26...
10^0.01 = 1.02...
10^0.001 = 1.00...
10^ 0.0001 = 1.000...
10^0.00001 = 1.0000...

It is CERTAINLY possible to conclude
10^0.000.... = undefined.

...but wouldn't a person who is SciNotation -blind find it helpful to
consider that
10^0.00000.... = 1.00000.....
which even a bunch of argumentative academics
with math pretensions would concede is true? :-)

BrianW