Re: [Phys-l] Response to Mike Edmiston

I will go further than this. If you have GIVEN tests, then expect that
they are out there regardless of whether or not you return them. I had
a colleague who did not give tests back. If you wanted to see how you
did, you made an appointment and sat in his office with him watching as
you reviewed your test. He felt safe in using the same tests (pretty
much) year after year since obviously no one had a copy.

Someone broke into his office. Nothing appeared to have been taken, but
he was nervous so he decided to use a brand new test. The class average
on the test dropped by about 20 points. He talked to some of the
students who had been doing especially well to see what happened on this
test. They admitted to having copies of old test questions.

Students are clever. Not giving back tests may work for about a year or
so. After that, expect your students to start writing down the
questions after they leave the test and/or after they review it with
you. They will partner up to get more of them written down (you do 1 -
5 and I'll do 6-10 and...) - they will see this as helping them to get
ready for the final. Once the work is done, they can/will sell it or
just give it to their friend next term/year so that friend will do well.

Mariam