Re: [Phys-l] starting a swing

I "sent" the below about five hours ago after initiating a TMDA filter; perhaps that's why I must resend?

Baker and Blackburn devote several (4 1/2) pages of section 3.3.4 (Parametric forcing revisited) in their book, The Pendulum, a case study in physics.

Those to whom the book is unavailable will receive a digital copy of the aforementioned section after application.

bc thinks the book a "great" reference.

The authors recommend Wirkus as an expert. Perhaps one may ask him (Calif. State. U. Pomona) for a copy of his article in the College Maths. J. "How to Pump a Swing" (Sept. '98).

p.s. Baker and Blackburn differentiate between "... initiating the motion, and (b) enhancing and maintaining ...", also they find the Lagrangian for an idealized person and swing.