Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Revisited

At 21:56 -0600 2/5/09, Jack Uretsky wrote:

Inspiration, however, is a tricky business. It can, I believe, be
done by lectures, and I have seen local examples where this seems to be
the case. Some frustrated teachers - and I think that some have
complained in this forum - complain that they have tried drama, and it doesn't
seem to help. To them I respond, on the basis of my experiences acting
and directing in community theatreover the past 33 years, that almost no
actor can judge the quality of his/her own performance. In short, if your
lectures are not achieving the desired results, try them out on a talented
drama coach, and thn follow instructions.

As we all know, or certainly should know, different students learn in different ways, and different teachers teach in different ways. Sometimes there is a disconnect between one teacher's teaching style and a student's learning style. If this happens, probably the best thing is to transfer the student to another class, if one is available. The disconnect is probably not bridgeable, and if the student remains with that teacher, the course will probably be a failure for both vis-a-vis each other. I don't know how often this happens, but surely it does happen. I have had personal experience with it, on both sides of the lectern.

There is a certain amount of theatre inherent in teaching. It is obligatory that the teacher get the students involved in the process, and some degree of theatricality is probably the best way to achieve that. But I question whether a student learns anything from the theatrical aspect of the teacher's actions, although I assume some may. However, too much theatre can have the opposite effect, of distracting the students from the point of the presentation and leave them happy from an enjoyable experience but no less ignorant than before.

I never had the pleasure of hearing Fermi lecture, but I'm told (by one of my dissertation advisors) that he was a mesmerizing speaker, with presentations so clear and logical and beautifully presented that the students simply forgot that they were supposed to take notes, thinking that this is all so clear they could never forget it, but then when the left class, they realized they had no recollection of what he said. It was that fact that led to his lecture notes being published, so that the students could figure out what went on in class. I have copies of those notes for nuclear physics and thermo, and they are just offset copies of his hand-written notes. Clearly the publishers (Benjamin) felt that they were good enough as is to enable someone to learn the subjects without recourse to attending his classes.

Very theatrical teachers can be wildly popular on campus, inducing students from all disciplines to attend these classes just for the theatrics, but I question whether much learning takes place in most of them.

As an aside, one of the things that has bothered me about most PER is an assumption made tacitly by many in that field that if we can just find the "magic bullet" all the students will learn everything the first time around and the world will be revolutionized. I overstating, of course, but I have heard similar sentiments expressed by several of the notables in the field, and others to whom I have mentioned my impression have agreed with me to some extent. I think this ignores the issue of teaching and learning styles, well-documented by the Myers-Briggs test analyses, and may be one of the reasons so many well-intentioned pedagogical schemes have not outlasted the lives of the principal promoters of them. There are certainly other reasons, among them the fact that almost all the new methods are highly labor-intensive, either demanding large amounts of pre-class preparation (I've heard more than one teacher, while touting their favorite PER pedagogy, say it helps to be a workaholic) or require a great deal of one-on-one or few-on-one contact between student(s) and teacher, thus either increasing the teacher workload greatly or requiring class sizes to be drastically reduced, one not very attractive to the teachers and the other not very attractive to the administrators.

I know that I didn't learn physics very well the first time around, or even the second. I am a proponent of a spiral approach, much has been advocated by many on this thread, because I found that it worked for me--in fact, I really didn't *understand* basic physics until I started teaching it. I know that a sample size of one doesn't give very reliable statistics, but the impression is strong with me, and almost everyone else I have discussed it with has agreed with me. Again, this isn't research, but I think it comes close to "expert opinion." I also have had students who, after passing out of Freshman physics because of 5s on the AP-C exams, decided to take physics again as college freshman, thinking that it would be a "furlough" course that they could get an easy A in to keep their GPA up, only to find that they were fighting to keep a C because they were relying on their prior knowledge, which was a) insufficient, and b) slipping away faster than they realized.

I used to be a physics first advocate, but I am no longer a strong proponent, although I know of places where it is successful and others where, for a variety of reasons, it has failed. What is more important, as John C. has been bringing us back to again and again, is teaching students how to think, right from the get-go. We cannot expect to shovel regurgitatable facts to them for eight years and then expect them to instantly transition to thinkers over the summer between eighth and nine grades. Learning to think has to start early, probably before formal schooling begins, but certainly by that time. We can't expect them to become advanced thinkers without first having learned how to be beginning and intermediate thinkers. That skill is probably more important than any other they will learn in elementary school, with the possible exception of reading (which must include comprehension, and not just saying the words).

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams