Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Revisited

Edmiston, Mike wrote:
... The following statement by Robert Cohen
has finally prompted me to ask it.

Robert said, "In my experience, there are several things that can be
used to increase the gain and they always have to do with increasing
inquiry. Sequencing ideas in (what I think is) an intuitive way,
interesting lectures, appropriate demos, and such, have had
insignificant impact (as far as I can tell)."

And later he said, "You would think that it would be possible, given the
sloppy experimental setups that are tolerated, that someone, somewhere,
could show a very high gain using traditional methods."....

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
I see that this proposition of Robert Cohen's lodged with Mike Edmiston's sensibilities,
as it did with mine. Ed was even moved to sketch in possible causes for the apparent
superiority of interactive/inquiry methods.

It is indeed a striking assertion, which seems to have enough legs to stand
on its merits without needing much academic support with the people who are
in fact teaching every day (unlike me).

If I try to analyze the "Cohen proposition" as just (no more than, no less than? :-)
a successful rhetorical device, I fall back on his observation concerning
"the hounds that are not barking in the night", so to speak.
The asserted superiority of inquiry/interactives by interested parties ought to be
easily? balanced by gain measurements, however arranged, from traditional
practitioners, surely?

Brian W