Re: [Phys-l] sunspots

Have you checked these out?

Solar cycle progression
Charts are provided of the progress of the current Solar cycle together with predictions for the next cycle. The charts include sunspot numbers, 10.7 cm radio flux, and the planetary index, Ap. A table of recent Solar indices is also available. This website is a resource from the US National Weather Service Space Weather Prediction Center.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/

Space weather : Sun-Earth Connection Education Forum (SECEF) primer
This is a tutorial on the Sun, its internals, its life cycle and its activity. The site also examines how this affects the Earth and its magnetosphere. There are images and notes about the Solar interior, sunspots, the Solar activity cycle, Solar flares, coronal mass ejections, Solar wind, the magnetosphere, plasma clouds near the Earth, the ionosphere, and the auroras. This resource was developed for teachers, students and the general public by the NASA Office of Space Science Sun-Earth Connection Education Forum (SECEF).
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/sechtml/tut.html

Pat

Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I'm trying to understand the solar cycle rather than watch the Super Bowl.
The Sun is definitely more interesting!

I believe there is a correlation between sunspot numbers and our climate.
As sunspot numbers increase, our oceans become (slightly) warmer. But
since sunspots are relatively cool, this also means that the Sun's surface
is cooler during these times. So I am puzzled how a cooler solar surface
can make our oceans warmer. Or is it due to increased magnetic activity on
the solar surface somehow causing changes in our climate?

There is much information on the web regarding this, and some of the
data/results are conflicting. I'm just trying to understand it on a
"basic" level, but it seems very complex.

Patricia T. Viele, Physics & Astronomy Librarian
Edna McConnell Clark Physical Sciences Library
Clark Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-2501
Voice: 607-255-0067