Re: [Phys-l] Math background quiz...

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Jeff Loats wrote:

I think you misunderstand what I am after here. I'm not planning to use this
test in any fashion except to give students a way to self-assess their math
background.

You might want to look at a test Jerome Epstein put together. When he did this work he was at C.U.N.Y. Brooklyn. The first 11 questions were basic math including ranking, fractions, percents and proportions.
The next were basic algebra questions. An example: How many 1/4 pound slices can you get from a 6 pound salami?

The test was administered to a wide variety of students at Hofstra including those intending to major in a math/science intensive field and those taking the minimum math requirement to graduate in some arts field. The test was also administered to a number of other students in other schools.

I have used the test with my first year physics students. I discovered that the honors students at my school had mastered the concepts on the test except for the log base10 question. The math department then used it for a few years at the beginning of sophomore year to diagnose algebra
deficiencies. They put together a number of remedial packages for those kids
who missed certain questions. A new department head took them in a different direction.

I don't know if Jerome is still on this list but in 1998 his email was
jerepst@worldnet.att.net

--
Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher