Re: [Phys-l] Math background quiz...

Unfortunately the usual assessment of math will not be a very good
predictor, depending on how the course is taught. If it is taught as an
exercise in math, then the math test might predict success. But if it is
taught as an inquiry course, the math test will probably not be adequate.

Inquiry combined with concept based problem solving produces both better
problem solving and higher conceptual gain, but depends on the paradigm that
the student has about education and also the Piagetian thinking level. Both
of these can rise, and some low individuals can show significant gain there.

As far as I know there is no Piagetian test online, and the best of them
need to be hand graded. Most math tests can be faked because multiple
choice tests only really test the students skill at plugging in the answers
to see which ones solve the equations. A much better test would be where
students have to write equations and deal with equations that do not contain
X and Y.

If you want a good predictor of success the VASS by Hestenes et al. showed a
high correlation with the final grade. But it tests attitudes rather than
math. With the right attitude a math deficiency can be overcome, but with
good math, a bad attitude is extremely resistant to change. But even there,
some students can change.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I'm looking for an online, self-grading quiz that students can use to see
if
they have the mathematical background to do well in trig. based
introductory
physics course. I had found one previously, but Google is withholding the
information for some reason.

Any suggestions are welcome!