Re: [Phys-l] Student engagement--GAIN

Of course your puzzle is not the same because they start at the same time.
But my reply is do you know why the puzzle was presented in the activity?
It has a pedagogical goal. Incidentally in the book this is the first time
they have been asked to do a kinematic problem, and it introduces motion
maps or what they call a strobe diagram.

I suspect that most students couldn't do the alternate puzzle which was
presented by Brian.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

This is a pleasant puzzle, dressed up for obfuscation.
Say it were presented in this manner:

John sets out to meet Sandra, who is 33 meters away.
He steps towards her at 1.5 meters/sec. She steps out
towards him at the same time, at 2.5 meters/sec.
There is a lamp post at 18 meters from John's starting
point. This post is initially 15 meters from Sandra
of course.
Where do they meet, in relation to the lamp post?
I fancy more kids could answer this algebraically.

The dressed up puzzle reminds me of the puzzle
starring an insect flying to and from between two trains:
and how far it travels before being squashed when
the locos collide. This one too, has a need
to be 'unfolded' for ready solution.

Brian W
p.s. This is not to minimize the conceptual visualization
value of the graphical approach over the algebraic method
for the puzzle as given.

John Clement wrote:
/snip/
Here is a specific problem that students in general either find
impossible
to do, or impossible in a short time to do by algebra. /snip/
http://srri.umass.edu/files/mop_samples/Act016.pdf /snip/
John M. Clement Houston, TX

Actually there are some problems which are very difficult using
equations, and are much easier using either graphs or motion maps.