Re: [Phys-l] About galvanometer in Wheatstone bridge

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/labman4/wheats.htm

These questions are to be answered by doing a mathematical analysis of the bridge circuit, making use of circuit laws such as Kirchoff's laws and Thvenin's theorem. Do not appeal to your experimental data or results in answering these questions. (1) We hinted that the resistance of connecting wires could cause error, and suggested you use the shortest wires possible. In fact only some of the wires are critical. Which wires need to be short, and which don't matter? Explain why. Which can cause determinate errors, and which only affect the indeterminate errors? Why?

(2) What effect does the battery voltage have on the precision of the bridge? Would one with twice the voltage give twice the precision? (3) What effect does the galvanometer sensitivity have on the precision of the bridge? Would one twice as sensitive give twice the precision?

(4) What if the voltage of the power source you were using varied erratically, say by as much as 20%? What effect would this have on your experimental data and results, and how much?

(5*) Considering only the errors due to uncertainties in resistance of the bridge arms, show that the slidewire bridge is most precise when the slider is set at the center of the slidewire.

(6*) By changing the value of the resistance box R, the slidewire bridge may be made to balance at any desired point along the length of the slidewire AB. If it were balanced at a point 2 cm from one end, how would the accuracy of the measurement compare with a measurement of the same unknown resistor made with the balance point at the center of the wire?

Text and drawings © 1995, 2004 by Donald E. Simanek.

bc remembers the author as a (former?) member of this? list.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/labman4/wheats.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge

eq. given use diff. calculus.

p.s. I couldn't quickly find my lab. book from the 50's that I used so ...