Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

Me too....

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
My response at bottom.

John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]d

On 11/17/2009 11:08 AM, Philip Keller wrote:
Thank you for the reply -- I will need to read this all more slowly.
But for now, I hope this is an easy question. What happens to an
isolated point charge in a region in space with a uniformly
increasing uniform mag field? Does it experience a force?

Sure.

If so, in what direction?

In the same direction as the E field. F = q E.
For ordinary not-too-weird-shaped regions, the
field will be azimuthal, i.e. in the dθ direction.

Where is the axis of this azimuth? If the region of dB/dt is very large an symmetric, I don't see how there is a specific direction for E. You could integrate curl E around a path to get an "EMF" , but how do actually identify E or its direction at a particular point?

Bob at PC
Bob makes a good point - it's one that John D essayed to answer with his curl versus field response. Let me say it out loud. There is NO linear direction for the E field vector
there is only a turning direction - clockwise or a-clockwise ("the curl")

I was not thrilled by the suggestion of a central singularity - this is an artifact only of the math.

About the azimuthal term: for a gun-layer and some astronomers, it is convenient to specify directions in terms of azimuth and elevation as two angles subtended from a reference direction/plane. These azimuths are often called by pilots "radials" as a descriptive term in navigation. This is NOT what we are talking about when referencing this electric field that has no constant direction, but only a constant direction of rotation.
Just a case of being divided by a common language, I'm sure.

Brian W