[Phys-l] Linear Air Drag

I have a quandry, and am hoping someone can clear it up for me...

I just worked a linear air drag problem for 2-D motion to show my students. The x direction was not a problem. For the y direction I worked it to rise to a max height, lower than if no drag were present, and then switching the sign of the drag term I worked the other half of the vertical motion. I got what appears to be a perfectly reasonable solution, whose graph is what I expected (lower y and shorter in x than the vacuum case).

Now, I've just been given a copy of Taylor's "Classical Mechanics" and asked to teach the course next semester. In that textbook (which seems very well done) he does linear drag in Chapter 2. As part of it he does vertical motion, initial v upward, solves the first order, ODE and states that it is good for the entire motion!

Now, I admit that my solution matches his for the t=0 to highest point of rise part. However, for the second part of the motion, with the drag 'switched' my solution differs slightly from his -- and the graphs of he two differ (but only very slightly). I checked the errata for the textbook, and none are mentioned for this.

I need some outside brain power. Why is Taylor's solution correct (that you need not 'switch' the drag term at the apex of the motion)?

Thank you,
Peter Schoch