Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

Hi all-
John Clement writes (in part):
The studies have shown that a liking of science goes down with each science
course taken. One thing that is known is that students are humans are more enthusiastic about something if they have success in doing it, and are usually less enthusiastic if they just beat their head against the
I contend that it is a logical impossiblity for any set of studies to establish sucdh a general principle. The interpretation of the studies referred to must take into account the time, place and manner of each study. In experimental science this is part of the determination of the "systematic uncertainty" of the study.
And if, as sometimes happens, it is claimed that there is no variation among the "studies", than that is as much a defect as excessive variation that hides the possibility of a clear conclusion. Measuring intstruments must show a necessary minimum of fluctuation.
Also, before relying on conclusions from such "studies", the proponent of the conclusions is expected, in most fields of science, to make a diligent search for counterexamples to those conclusions. See, e.g., Feynman's discussion of premonitions in the book (I think this is the one) "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out".
Regards,
Jacdk