From: IOPaul@aol.com
Date: July 8, 2008 9:17:22 AM EDT
To: physics@list.nsta.org
Subject: Looking for Suggestions-Physics enrichment

Good morning.

I will be teaching an enrichment (physics) program to 10th and 11th grade students this summer and I'm looking for info/ suggestions regarding 2 activities:

1. The topic is magnetism/induction: I 'd like the kids to make a speaker (or a microphone) using readily available supplies. It's something I've always wanted to do but never found the time in class...If someone has already done this, perhaps I could profit from your experience and avoid some pitfalls.

2. I'm looking for a computer simulation (for students) of the Rutherford Alpha Particle Scattering experiment (or similar atomic/ nuclear sim).

Thanks for your consideration...have a restful summer.

Paul Stengel
Physics
Shoreham-Wading River HS (retired)
BNL-Office of Educational Programs