From: "Mark Sylvester" <mark.sylvester@spin.it>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:11 AM
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] astrophysics question

Thanks for replies, Michael and John.

My query arose from an examination question that asks under what
circumstances a white dwarf can be the outcome of a main sequence
star at the high mass upper left end. A colleague was asserting that
the required mass loss would have to occur during the supernova,
which didn't seem to make sense. Indeed, the helium flash/planetary
nebula process is what I had in mind... but this avoids the supernova.

Thanks again.

Mark.