Re: [Phys-l] Photoelectric effect question

Hi Tony-
You percieve a polished metal surcace as shiny because you are looking at photons having fequency far below the frequency required to generate photoelectrons. The surface appears shiny because the photons are relected, and not absorbed.
Shininess is most easily understood as a classical effect. The E-field of the light ray, incident on the metal, generates a current in the conductive metal, the current, oscillating with the frequency of the incident light ray, radiates EM energgy that you percieve as reflected light.
Regards,
Jack