Re: [Phys-l] 9.80 vs. 9.81

I'm impressed that John Denker was able to find, using Google, all the measured values for g within about 2 miles of Bluffton University. I have the printed version of the USGS Survey of Ohio that includes the data John found, but I was unaware the data could be obtained on-line.

I agree that Googling is an acquired skill. I spent about 5 minutes before I gave up trying to find the site John found in 1 minute. So John, can you provide some insights as to how you found that site so fast? None of my students have ever found that site. Their Googling skills are pretty bad, but it still seems one of them would have found it.

In case no one bothered to look at the data, the measured values around Bluffton University are all 9.8012 or 9.8013 when rounded to the fourth decimal place. Individual measured points are given to 7 decimal places which amazes the heck out of me. The one closest to my house is 9.8012524 m/s^2.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive