From: "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:43 PM
To: "'Forum for Physics Educators'" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] 9.80 vs. 9.81

This is of course good advice. I would call the USGS value a standard, or
published value rather than an accepted value. Who is it accepted by?
Standard implies that someone or some group decided that the value was to be
used as a standard, but does not imply that it is the gospel truth. I tend
to see red when the phrase accepted value is used. And of course it is
possible for the value to change with time.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX