Re: [Phys-l] Developing for creativity

If you reply to this long (17 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: In his POD post titled "Developing for creativity," Mike Theall wrote: "I heard a story a while ago that I think was about the physicist Niels Bohr who supposedly flunked a test when he offered 14 perfectly appropriate ways to test a theory. . . . but omitted the one way that the teacher was looking for. . . . In most students, that kind of feedback would quash creativity." Mike may have seen the story in Robert Beck's 2000 POD posting of an Old Barometer Story (OBS) that featured Bohr as the student - doubtless false as discussed in my POD response to Beck. Nevertheless, the OBS, in its various guises, can serve as a reminder of the boring algorithmic nature of many physics/math "problems" and the rebellion of many good students against the rote learning required in many (usually ineffective) traditional passive-student physics courses and in much relatively ineffective K-12 science/math instruction.