Re: [Phys-l] Climate change?

Since this topic has come up and because certain people are assuming that anyone who is even slightly skeptical of the Global Warming science/reports/PR is somehow 'seriously flawed' (to put it kindly), let me outline a course of action on Global Warming that was presented on another list but comes from an economist--one with deep Physics roots. This is my version of his plan.

1) Layout the levels of Global Warming and their consequences--from very mild to catastophic. Do the best we can to determine the relative probablities of these.
2) Layout a plan of action to that would minimize the adverse effects at each level.
3) Estimate what is would cost--all types of costs--to do each of these.
4) Determine where Global Warming ranks with other threats/concerns that will compete for the time/labor/money available. [more on this below].
5) Now pick an appropriate plan of action--based on the probablities, the priorities, and the available resources.

These steps might take some of the 'religious fervor' out of the process--fervor from either extreme--Fred Singer to Al Gore.

More on (4). The consequences of Global Warming may run from relatively mild (pretty much what we are seeing right now) to catastrophic, but with very little probability of being 'apocolyptic'. OTOH, a major meteor strike on the earth (which has a small but real probablity of happening within the next millennium) would be a true Extinction Event--ours. So one of the questions above is at what priority do we place Global Warming alieviation versus 'killer' meteor detection and deflection?

*****************

So that no one here gets the wrong idea about some of us who express occasional doubts about how good the computer models really are or find that certain 'informational' approaches on the topic of GW might not be the best or even want to 'check out' the interesting graphs that come unsolicted to us in the mail, let me relate what I say to student in my energy course--after three weeks of study on the topic and after they have written a personal position paper on GW--something I offer only after being asked often by students for 'my stance'.

"Whether or not human induced global warming is as serious a threat as some (Gore for example) profess, almost all of the proposed remedies to reduce GW, or alieviate its affects ,are things we should do anyway. Weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels is essential if for no other reason than those are finite sources. Cleaning up air quality and other pollution that comes from fossil fuel use can only be good in the end. The real question here is just how fast should we move (do we need to move) in this direction. That is still uncertain, but doing so as fast as we can without major economic damage seems advisable, prudent if you will. (As we've seen in class) one necessary step in all of this is to stabilize population, and while things are moving that way (worldwide) we are not there yet. We also have to understand that a rapid change to 'green' resources will be very expensive in the short term and will be land intensive. {Note: our yearly class project to do this for the U.S. usually runs 30 trillion dollars and at least a half million square miles of land.} Some countries can do this easily and some cannot (poor nations or small nations with large populations)--at least not without lots of help, and that raises the cost even more if the developed nations have to 'kick-in' a lot of financial resources. India will probably be in that category. What all that means to you is that over the next 50-100 years, expect energy costs to rise considerably and expect to have to change your life-styles at least minimally (and perhaps more) to accommodate both the costs and the mandates that will result from concentrated efforts on Global Warming. Meanwhile--watch out for the meteor!"

As noted above, we then move on in the course to lay out a possible way to provide (primarily) 'green' energy for the U.S. by the next century.

Sorry to be long winded here, but maybe making positions clear here will stop some of the sniping and mis-characterizations.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics