Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

This is a very good analysis. And pre-college teachers communicate this to students. My primary example is when they teach early grade students they ask what makes things fall down. Then they answer it is gravity. Notice that the word now becomes the magical incantation for why it happens. Gravity comes from gravitas or the tendency for base things to go to the center where hell is located.

The only way to fix this problem, according to the research, is to use a studio style or inquiry course. The research by Redish et al has shown that conventional lecture/problem based courses push down the scientific attitudes. Examples of inquiry are Modeling, Scale up, Hake Socratic dialog labs, McDermott tutorials, Workshop Physics... But there is also evidence that on top of this there should be some lecturing after thay have experienced inquiry. The lecturing alone does not change paradigms. The lecture has to come after the experience.

For middle school and HS Thinking Science can be helpful. Shayer & Adey have also been developing inquiry for first grade. See "Learning Intelligence" and "Really Rasising Standards" by Shayer & Adey.

As to "belief" in evolution one should properly ask if they understand that the overwhelming evidence from fossil and biological studies are consistent with the modern theory of natural selection. But that is too much to ask a candidate in a short debate. Could we require all candidates to take the MPEX to see if they understand the process of science?

There are some very good published articles about trying to change teacher's paradigms, and it is difficult. Many resist change with great resentment. When they are confronted with the idea that math should be logical thinking, rather than memorization, they often resist this idea. The ACEPT, Ariz. collaborative for Excellence in the Preparation of Teachers has some very good articles online.
www.accept.asu.edu

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

For nearly all non scientists and I would suggest very many k - 12 teachers who support the idea of evolution most certainly do "believe in evolution". They simply do not know enough to do otherwise. Maybe as I think about it now what they really do is believe in scientists. What we tell them must be true, after all we are scientists. We do little in school or otherwise to encourage the masses to beleive based on evidence we simply ask them to beleive in science. How do we fix this problem?